What You Need to Know About Visian ICL
What is Visian ICL?
Visian Implantable Collamer Lenses
The surgical procedure for Visian ICL takes about 20 minutes per eye, which is a little longer than LASIK, but it’s still a fast outpatient procedure. There are fewer side effects, especially dry eye, associated with ICLs.
Benefits of Visian ICL
Visian ICL has several benefits and, for some patients, may be a better choice than LASIK or other forms of laser eye surgery:
- For myopic patients whose high prescriptions mean that laser eye surgery is not recommended, Visian ICL provides an alternative surgical option that achieves comparable improvements in vision. Research indicates that Phakic IOL procedures are actually safer than LASIK for moderate to high myopia (-6 to -20 diopters).
- Unlike laser eye surgery, no corneal tissue is removed during the implantation procedure, which is minimally invasive and involves only a short recovery time.
- Inserting the Visian ICL is also a completely reversible procedure, so if for any reason a patient wants or needs to remove the lens in future, this can be done easily and safely.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Visian ICL?
Good candidates for the Visian ICL include patients who:
- Are between 21 and 45 years old.
- Are nearsighted with mild to severe myopia (-3D to -20D).
- Have not had a change in prescription of more than .5D in a year.
- Are looking for a procedure that doesn’t create dry eye syndrome.
Unfortunately, people with cataracts are not good Visian ICL candidates. Nor are farsighted people, because they don’t have enough room in their eyes to fit a lens.
Visian ICL Versus LASIK
ASIK surgery is a refractive surgery that uses a laser to reshape the surface of the cornea. The procedure can help correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism, and can be performed in conjunction with many other eye procedures. It is renowned for its safety and for its short surgery recovery time. However, not everyone is an ideal candidate for LASIK. For more information, read our article: Is My Vision too Bad for LASIK?
The Visian ICL is an implantable, bio-compatible contact lens that can remain in your eye indefinitely, freeing you from the constant need to maintain and change your contacts. However, unlike LASIK, which has permanent effects, an ICL can be removed if a patient so wishes. ICLs are especially good for patients whose corneas are too thin or dry for them to be good candidates for LASIK. Unfortunately, Visian ICL can only be used to help those patients struggling with myopia (nearsightedness).
Visian ICL Eye Doctors in Mesa and Chandler
If you are looking for an alternative to LASIK, Visian ICL might be the answer. We know that many patients are concerned about Visian ICL cost. We place the needs of our patients first. We will help you come up with a financing plan that will help you afford Visian ICL. If you would like to learn more about Visian ICL and other options for replacing corrective lenses, give us a call today and schedule a consultation.
Schedule Your Consultation.
For fastest service during the hours of 8 am-5 pm Monday-Friday, call us at 480-372-2616. Otherwise, fill out the form below to schedule your consultation.