The Importance of Eye Exams
Growing up, most people are used to going to the medical doctor once per year for an annual physical. They might even go to the dentist twice per year for regular cleanings. On the other hand, too many people forget to go to the eye doctor once per year for an annual eye exam; however, eye exams are a critical part of someone’s overall health.
As some of the best eye doctors in Arizona, we encourage everyone to see us at least once per year for an eye exam. There are a few critical reasons why our Phoenix eye checkups are so important.
Importance of Regular Eye Exams
The reality is that having an annual eye exam is a key part of making sure the eyes are healthy. Sometimes, people have conditions involving their eyes that might not show up immediately. They might not cause any symptoms at all, meaning that they progress unchecked. This means that by the time someone notices that something is wrong, it might be too late.
In addition, our Phoenix eye exams are important for making sure that everyone is able to see clearly. Some people have glasses and contacts; however, they might need to get their prescriptions updated. In other cases, people might need to see an eye doctor for an eye exam to determine whether or not they can receive LASIK.
These are just a few of the most important reasons why everyone has to see an eye doctor at least once per year for an annual eye exam.
What Happens at an Eye Exam?
Of course, when someone shows up for an eye exam, we want that person to feel comfortable. At an eye exam, a few tasks are going to take place. These include:
- Read the Chart: During our Phoenix area eye exams we will ask our patients to read something called a Snellen chart. This is a measure of visual acuity. We will check each eye individually to see if someone needs corrective lenses.
- Visual Field: We will also test someone’s visual fields. We want to make sure that the patient can see out of all parts of the eye.
- Eye Movement: We will check to make sure that the patient can move his or her eyes in all directions.
- Pressures: Elevated pressure behind either eye is a sign of a condition called glaucoma. This is an emergency, which is why we always check for it.
- Dilate the Eyes: Finally, we will dilate your eyes. We use special drops to expand the pupils. We do this to take a look at someone’s retinas, optic nerves, and blood vessels.
These are all important parts of a complete eye exam.
If you are looking for eye exams from the best eye doctors in Arizona, then look no further than us. Our team is here to provide you with an annual eye exam. Contact us today to make an appointment for a Phoenix area eye exam. We are here to protect your vision!
LASIK Eye Exam
Do you suffer from nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism? Do you find glasses or contacts cumbersome or uncomfortable, and wish you could reduce their prescription or discard them?
If you answered “YES” to either of these questions, you may be a good candidate for LASIK or other vision corrective surgery. Before the decision can be made however, you must have an eligibility exam and consultation. The doctor will ask questions about your medical history and give a thorough eye exam designed to determine if the procedure is appropriate for your individual case. The doctor will also talk about the benefits, risks, available options, and preparation and recovery associated with the surgery to ensure that your goals and expectations are realistic.
Schedule Your Consultation.
For fastest service during the hours of 8 am-5 pm Monday-Friday, call us at 480-372-2616. Otherwise, fill out the form below to schedule your consultation.