7 Benefits of LASIK Eye Surgery
Have you ever imagined a world where you can experience clear vision without the burden, hassle, and ongoing costs of contact lenses or glasses? When it comes to vision correction, you have options — including LASIK eye surgery.
What Is LASIK?
LASIK eye surgery is one of the most common elective eye surgeries in the U.S., with more than 600,000 surgeries performed each year. It’s a safe and effective laser refractive surgery that can help correct conditions like astigmatism, myopia (nearsightedness), or hyperopia (farsightedness). LASIK is short for laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis. A non-thermal beam of light is used to reshape the cornea to help create naturally crisp images without the need for corrective lenses.
Our expert team uses the latest laser vision correction technology to provide patients with customized treatments for fast, precise results. The laser treatment itself is incredibly quick — lasting only seconds — and the whole procedure takes an average of 15 minutes. Most patients experience little to no discomfort afterward and often enjoy clear vision immediately.
Who Can Benefit from LASIK Eye Surgery?
For many people, LASIK surgery is a safe, effective, and life-changing option for vision correction. Typically, you’ll be considered a candidate for LASIK if you have no underlying eye conditions, like glaucoma, cataracts, or severe dry eye, and if you haven’t experienced a drastic change in your prescription over the past year.
Our helpful LASIK self-test can help you determine if you may be a candidate for LASIK. The surgery may not be right for everyone, but don’t worry! There are other safe and effective vision correction alternatives that may be better suited for your unique needs.
LASIK Eye Surgery Benefits
Ready to experience life without lenses? Here are just seven of the many benefits of LASIK eye surgery with Swagel Wootton Eye Institute:
- Quick recovery time. The recovery time for LASIK surgery is typically only a few days, and many patients report being able to see clearly immediately after surgery. In some rare cases, recovery can take up to a week. Most people are able to return to work and other normal activities, including driving, the following day.
- Better vision. Research shows that more than 99% of patients achieve better than 20/40 vision, with more than 90% achieving 20/20 or better. The patient satisfaction rate for LASIK is approximately 96%.
- Long-lasting results. LASIK vision correction is permanent, so you don’t have to worry about continually updating prescriptions as you do with contact lenses or glasses. It’s common, though, for our eyes to change as we age. Some of these changes may cause a need for an enhancement procedure. At Swagel Wootton Eye Institute, we’re proud to offer a vision commitment plan that covers any enhancements deemed necessary by your surgeon free of charge, so long as you continue yearly annual exams with your optometrist.
- Freedom to focus on what matters to you. No matter if you’re an avid athlete or a weekend warrior, a professional who is always on the move, a world traveler, or a busy parent, LASIK gives you the freedom of no longer having to worry about breaking your glasses or forgetting to pack that extra pair of contacts.
- Personal style and preference. It’s normal to take pride in our appearance, and some people just don’t like how they look in glasses. Others may be bothered by having to touch their eye while inserting and removing contact lenses.
- Convenience. People often need different types of glasses for different activities, including prescription sunglasses. Those who wear contact lenses might also find themselves on their last pair while their next box is on order. LASIK removes these day-to-day hassles and concerns.
- Long-term cost savings. While it may seem like a large investment up front, you may be surprised at how affordable LASIK is once you consider lifetime costs of appointments for prescriptions, frames, lenses, contacts, and accessories like cleaning spray or contact solution. Our LASIK savings calculator can help you compare what you currently spend on your vision care and necessities to determine what a vision correction surgery like LASIK can save you long term.